- Lowest Price
- Highest Price
Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake (Speakers Corner)
Here is a true delight for all ballet fans and music-lovers. This recording of what is probably Tchaikovsky's most popular ballet, Swan Lake, by Ernest Ansermet and his orchestra in a masterly performance is now available as a new pressing in vinyl. The Russian composer's first ballet is offered here on a double LP and although not a complete recording, this compilation (with a minimum of cuts) certainly comprises the most beautiful and expressive scenes, losing nothing in the process.
"Ballet specialist" Ansermet and his wonderfully balanced Orchestre de la Suisse Romande offer here a recording which you'll want to hear again and again for it captures both the tragic moments of the fairy tale and the festive dance scenes. The precise winds in, for example No. 4, provide a marked contrast to the lively and exciting tutti (No. 5), while the gentle woodwinds blend charmingly with the dreamlike cantilena of the strings (No. 11). The various characteristics of the festive national dances (Polkas, Mazurkas, Hungarian Dance etc.) are performed with temperament, verve and rhythm, but it is the waltzes with their sweet dreaminess which invite the listener most of all to put on their dancing shoes and join in the dance.
- Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
- Ernest Ansermet (conductor)
Recording: October/November 1958 at Victoria Hall, Geneva by Roy Wallace
Production: James Walker
Format: 2LPs 33rpm / gatefold sleeve, booklet
About Speakers Corner
At the beginning of the 90s, in the early days of audiophile vinyl re-releases, the situation was fairly straightforward. Companies such as DCC, Mobile Fidelity, Classic Records and, of course, Speakers Corner all maintained a mutual, unwritten ethical code: we would only use analogue tapes to manufacture records.
During the course of the present vinyl hype, many others have jumped on the bandwagon in the hope of securing a corner of the market. Very often they are not so ethical and use every imaginable source to master from: CDs, LPs, digital files, MP3s - or employed existant tools from the 80s and 90s for manufacturing.
A digital delay is gladly used when cutting a lacquer disc because tape machines with an analogue delay have become quite rare and are therefore expensive. When cutting the lacquer, the audio signal is delayed by one LP revolution against the signal, which controls the cutter head, and for this a digital delay is very often employed. Of course, the resultant sound signal is completely digital and thus only as good as this delay.
We should like to emphasise that Speakers Corner Records on principle only uses the original master tape as the basis for the entirely analogue cutting of lacquer discs. In addition, the pressing tool is newly manufactured as a matter of principle. We have one digital recording in our catalogue (Alan Parsons / Eye In The Sky"), but even in this particular case we used the analogue tapes for cutting.
We only employ existing tools for manufacturing if an improved result is not forthcoming, e.g. the title Elvis Is Back, which was mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray, or several titles from our Philips Classics series, which in any case Willem Makkee cut from the original masters at the Emil Berliner Studios in the 90s. It goes without saying that we only used the mother and that new tools were made for our production.
To put it in a nutshell: we can ensure you that our releases are free from any kind of digital effects - excluding the exception above - and that the lacquer discs are newly cut.1. Swan Lake$69.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
Tchaikovsky: Swan LakeTchaikovsky's Swan Lake, with its story of magical transformations, love and deceit and its irresistibly melodic score, defines Romantic ballet. It is no coincidence that conductor AndrÉ Previn has described himself as "a complete romantic" and that this recording has become a classic of the catalogue. When it was made in 1976, Previn had spent the best part of a decade as Principal Conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra. With their combination of show business flair and deep sensitivity, he and the LSO's players proved to be the ideal team for Tchaikovsky's glorious ballet music.LP 1
1. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 5 Pas de deux - I. Tempo di valse ma non troppo vivo, quasi moderato - AndrÉ Previn
2. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 5 Pas de deux - II. Andante - Allegro - AndrÉ Previn
3. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 5 Pas de deux - III. Tempo di valse - AndrÉ Previn
4. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 5 Pas de deux - Coda (Allegro molto vivace) - AndrÉ Previn
5. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 6 Pas d'action (Andantino quasi moderato - Allegro) - AndrÉ Previn
6. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 7 Sujet - AndrÉ Previn
7. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 8 Danse des coupes (Tempo di Polacca) - AndrÉ Previn
8. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 9 Finale (Andante) - AndrÉ Previn
9. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 4 Pas de trois - V. Allegro - AndrÉ Previn
10. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 1: No. 4 Pas de trois - VI. Coda (Allegro vivace) - AndrÉ Previn
1. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 2: No. 14 Moderato - AndrÉ Previn
2. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 15 Allegro giusto - AndrÉ Previn
3. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 16 Danses du Corps de Ballet et des Nains (Moderato assai - Allegro vivo) - AndrÉ Previn
4. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 17 La sortie des InvitÉs et Valse - AndrÉ Previn
5. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 18 Allegro - Allegro giusto - AndrÉ Previn
6. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 19 Pas de six - Intrada (Moderato assai) - AndrÉ Previn
7. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 19 Pas de six - Variation I (Allegro) - AndrÉ Previn
8. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 19 Pas de six - Variation II (Andante con moto) - AndrÉ Previn
9. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 2: No. 13 Danses des cygnes - VI. Tempo di valse (Tout le monde danse) - AndrÉ Previn
10. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 2: No. 13 Danses des cygnes - VII. Coda (Allegro vivo) - AndrÉ Previn
1. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 23 Mazurka (Solistes et corps de ballet) (Tempo di Mazurka) - AndrÉ Previn
2. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 19 Pas de six - Variation IV (Allegro) - AndrÉ Previn
3. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 4: No. 25 Entr'acte (Moderato) - AndrÉ Previn
4. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 19 - Pas de six - Coda (Allegro molto) - AndrÉ Previn
5. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 4: No. 27 Danse des petits cygnes (Moderato) - AndrÉ Previn
6. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 4: No. 28 Allegro agitato - Molto meno mosso - Allegro vivace - AndrÉ Previn
7. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: Appendix 1 Pas de deux - Variation II (Allegro) - AndrÉ Previn
8. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: Appendix 1 Pas de deux - Coda (Allegro molto vivace) - AndrÉ Previn
9. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 20 Danse hongroise - Czárdás (Moderato assai - Allegro moderato - Vivace) - AndrÉ Previn
10. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: Appendix 2 Danse russe (Moderato - Andante semplice - Allegro vivo) - AndrÉ Previn
11. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 21 Danse espagnole (Allegro non troppo [Tempo di bolero]) - AndrÉ Previn
12. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake, Op. 20, Act 3: No. 22 Danse napolitaine (Allegro moderato - Andantino quasi moderato - Presto) - AndrÉ Previn$34.99Vinyl LP - 3 LPs Sealed Buy Now
Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake-Suite From The Ballet180g Audiophile Vinyl Cut from the Original Stereo Analogue Master Tapes at Abbey Road Studios
"A tall, imposing figure in front of an orchestra, so tall that he often dispensed with the usual conductor's podium, Efrem Kurtz had a graceful, baton-less technique that drew a fluid yet well-controlled response from the players and infused a vivid poetry into romantic music in particular. Much sought after in the music of his native Russia, and in the ballet music in which he first made his name conducting Anna Pavlova, Kurtz was a link back to the musical life of pre-revolutionary St Petersburg." So wrote most eloquently Noel Goodwin in his 1995 obituary in the Independent of the distinguished 95 years old Russian conductor, who had studied with Glazunov and Tcherepnin no less, and was a pupil of Arthur Nikisch.
Kurtz was a familiar name with the Philharmonia to the record collector of the 1950s and Yehudi Menuhin was in his prime. Menuhin's presence on the recording can be explained by a long tradition of celebrated violinists performing the solo violin parts of Swan Lake, from Leopold Auer at the first production to Mischa Elman for Diaghilev and contemporary with this recording, Campoli for Fistoulari.
Cut at Abbey Road Studios from the original stereo analogue master tapes with the Neumann VMS82 lathe fed an analogue pre-cut signal from a specially adapted Studer A80 tape deck with additional 'advance' playback head, making the cut a totally analogue process.
Pressed on 180g vinyl to audiophile standards using the original EMI presses by The Vinyl Factory in Hayes, England.
In the original review in The Gramophone of December 1958, W.S.M. remarked: "The sound of the orchestra is extremely well defined all the way through, and the tunes are enunciated in a most dapper fashion; Kurtz really understands the style of the music..." and found Menuhin's solo violin contributions "make you sit up and listen hard, to his phrasing and expression..." and concluded that compared with rival versions, this record was "more stylish and more attractively played. Don't try to dance to it, but do listen to it."
This title is not eligible for discount.1. a. Introduction
b. No. 2: Valse (Act 1)
c. No. 4: Pas de trios, Nos. 1-6 (Act 1)
2. No. 5: Pas de deux, Nos. 1 & 2 (Act 1)
3. a. No. 5: Pas de deux, Nos. 3 & 4 (Act 1)
b. No. 10: Scene (Act 2)
c. No. 13: Danses des cygnes Nos. 1, 2 & 4 (Act 2)
4. a. No. 13, Danses des cygnes, No. 5 (Act 2)
b. No. 20: Danse hongroise (Czardas) (Act 3)
c. Danse russe (from Supplement$34.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Black Swan Soundtrack
Including 4 Page Insert With Photos, Track Listing And Credits
Black Swan is a 2010 American psychological thriller film directed by Darren Aronofsky and starring Natalie Portman, Vincent Cassel, Mila Kunis and Winona Ryder. The plot revolves around a production of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet by a prestigious New York City company. Usually described as a psychological thriller, Black Swan can be also interpreted as a metaphor for achieving artistic perfection, with all the psychological and physical challenges one might encounter.
The original score for the film was composed by Clint Mansell, an English musician, composer, and former lead singer of the band Pop Will Eat Itself. Mansell was introduced to film scoring when director Darren Aronofsky hired him to score his debut film, Pi. Ever since Mansell wrote the score for many of Aronofsky's films. Notable film scores include Pi, The Fountain, Moon, Smokin' Aces, Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler, Doom, Black Swan, and High-Rise.1. Nina's Dream
2. Mother Me
3. The New Season
4. A Room Of Her Own
5. A New Swan Queen
6. Lose Yourself
7. Cruel Mistress
8. Power, Seduction, Cries
9. The Double
10. Opposites Attract
11. Night Of Terror
12. Stumbled Beginnings
13. It's My Time
14. A Swan Is Born
16. A Swan Song (For Nina)$36.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
The Wild SwanThe Wild Swan was recorded in Nashville at Blackbird Studios with Grammy Award-winner Jacquire King. Recording legend Elton John is the album's Executive Producer.
The Wild Swan opens with Noam Chomsky Is A Soft Revolution, a rock'n'blues celebration of a roll-call of musical, philosophical, literary and polemical insurrectionists. It ends with a dash of uillean pipes and The Wild Swans On The Lake, a stop-you-in-your-tracks breath of Celtic balladry inspired by WB Yeats' The Wild Swans At Coole. Vance's rich voice also gets up close and personal on the hymnal Burden, then digs deep for She Burns, a song and a performance evocative of Bruce Springsteen's Tunnel Of Love. On the ancient-but-modern Be Like You Belong, Vance's soulful rasp weaves through pedal-steel and simple piano chords. Ziggy Looked Me In The Eye is a piano-based, strings-buoyed soul-stirrer, a dignified tribute to, says Vance, various people who I think have been part of a revolution. I'm not talking about Che Guevara or Ghandi or even Russell Brand for that matter - I'm talking about personal revolution. I like that idea constantly revolting against your own parameters.1. Noam Chomsky Is A Soft Revolution
2. Upbeat Feelgood
5. Bangor Town
7. She Burns
8. Be Like You Belong
9. Unlike Any Other
10. Ziggy Looked Me In The Eye
11. Fire It Up (The Silver Spear)
12. The Wild Swans On The Lake$19.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
The Besnard Lakes Are The Roaring NightWith the aid of Besnard members Kevin Laing on drums and Richard White on guitar, The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night is a dense, ambitious recording, experimenting, as always, with the studio as instrument. The album calls upon the influence of ELO and finer parts of the Alan Parsons Project in its orchestration. Still inspired by the Ghost of Beach Boys Past, the album is more Dennis Wilson than Brian, and more Peter Green Fleetwood Mac than Lindsay Buckingham. The album is a dark bliss-out that folds the eerie guitar epics of the Montreal band's breakthrough into a wall of affected drones and atmospherics, but with a toughened immediacy and grit that gives the form a much-needed shove over the cliffs, making for a haunting, provocative swan dive into the crushing tide.1. Like The Ocean, Like The Innocent Pt. 1: The Ocean
2. Like the Ocean, Like The Innocent Pt. 2: The Innocent
3. Chicago Train
5. Glass Printer
6. Land Of Living Skies Pt.1: The Land
7. Land Of Living Skies Pt. 2: The Living Skies
8. And This Is What We Call Progress
9. Light Up The Night
10. The Lonely Moan$16.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Enemy MineSwan Lake is the musical collaboration of Daniel Bejar (Destroyer, New Pornographers), Spencer Krug (Sunset Rubdown, Wolf Parade), and Carey Mercer (Frog Eyes, Blackout Beach). While their debut was a beautifully weaved mash up of disparate songwriting styles, this second effort reflects a more stripped down, deliberate approach to collaboration. It's as if they really tried to just make nice songs together. LP contains digital download coupon.1. Spanish Gold, 2044
2. Paper Lace
4. Settle On Your Skin
5. Ballad Of A Swan Lake, Or, Daniel's Song
8. A Hand At Dusk
9. Warlock Psychologist$14.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
ELLE-HIQ-051xPyotr Ilich Tchaikovsky
Tchaikovsky The Nutcracker
180g Audiophile Vinyl!
Cut From The Original Analogue EMI Master Tapes At Abbey Road Studios!
A tall imposing figure, so tall, in fact, that he often dispensed with a podium, Efrem Kurtz was a distinguished Russian conductor, who had studied with Glazunov and Tcherepnin and was a pupil of Arthur Nikisch. Kurtz had a broad symphonic and operatic repertory and conducted the premieres of works by Copland, Barber, Walton, Hindemith, Stravinsky, Shostakovich and Khachaturian. But he was most highly regarded for his interpretations of Russian music.
Kurtz was a familiar name to the record collector of the 1950s and embarked upon a series of Tchaikovsky ballet recordings with the Philharmonia Orchestra for EMI in 1958. HIQ has already released Swan Lake and the release The Sleeping Beauty is in preparation. Of this Nutcracker highlights Gramaphone wrote: This is probably as good a selection as could reasonably be expected.
Cut at Abbey Road Studios from the original stereo analogue master tapes with the Neumann lathe fed an analogue pre-cut signal from a specially adapted Studer A80 tape deck with additional 'advance' playback head, making the cut a totally analogue process.
In the original review in The Gramophone of November 1958, R.F. remarked: The orchestral quality is superb, and the dynamic contrasts tremendous. If you can hear the opening pizzicato notes of the Sugar-Plum Fairy, the end of the Valse des Fleurs will have your neighbours banging on the wall in desperation.
Recorded March 1958, Kingsway Hall, London. Recording Producer: Peter Andry. Balance Engineer: Neville Boyling
• Hi-Q Records Supercuts 180g Vinyl
• Cut from the Original Analogue EMI Master Tapes at Abbey Road Studios!
• Superior Audiophile Pressing
• Features Original Album Artwork
• This recording is not otherwise generally available in any format.
Efrem Kurtz, conductorThe Nutcracker Op. 71
2. No. 2 - Marche • No. 3 - Petit Galop Des Enfants Et EntrÉe De Parents • No. 8 - Scène • No. 9 - Valse Des Flocons De Neige
3. No. 12 - Divertissement; Le Chocolat; Le CafÉ
1. No. 12 - Divertissement: Le ThÉ; TrÉpak; Danse Des Mirlitons
2. No. 13 - Valse Des Fleurs
3. No. 14a - Pas De Deux
4. No. 14b - Pour Le Danseur • No. 14c Pour La Danseuse • No. 14d - Coda • No. 15 - Valse Finale$34.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
MTV Unplugged In New YorkRanked 311/500 on Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
Recorded in November 1993, less than six months before singer Kurt Cobain killed himself, Nirvanas MTV Unplugged is a watershed document that presents a band at the peak of its powers. Unlike any other unplugged affair, the diverse album is not a simple stripped-down regurgitation of greatest hits or a cash-it-in set of nostalgic favorites. Rather, the live effort is among the most emotionally naked spectacles ever released an album so starkly intense and profoundly personal, its impossible not to get chills down the spine.
Made primarily with acoustic instrumentsGrohl even trades sticks for brushes, Krist Novoselic picks up an accordion, and cellist Lori Goldston prominently figures in the arrangementsUnplugged in New York reveals Nirvanas folksier side and clear ambition to move beyond abrasive rock. The setlist is as surprising as the stylistic makeover. Save for renditions of All Apologies and Come As You Are, the adventurous material includes brooding covers of the Meat Puppets' Lake of Fire, Plateau, and Oh Me as well as harrowing versions of David Bowies The Man Who Sold the World, and the Vaselines Jesus Dont Want Me for a Sunbeam.
And then there's the heart-shattering climax. Intensely private and disturbingly primal, Nirvana's rendition of the Leadbelly standard Where Did You Sleep Last Night takes its place among the most cathartic songs ever committed to record. Its the musical equivalent of the insides of Cobain's soul being ripped out and put out display for all to see.
Hurry! Do not pass up this chance to own the Nirvana swan song that Rolling Stone named one of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time!1. About A Girl
2. Come As You Are
3. Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam
4. The Man Who Sold The World
5. Pennyroyal Tea
8. On A Plain
9. Something In The Way
11. Oh Me
12. Lake Of Fire
13. All Apologies
14. Where Did You Sleep Last Night$24.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now