- Lowest Price
- Highest Price
Band of GypsiesFollowing the breakup of the Experience, Jimi Hendrix took a sabbatical in Woodstock, New York, hooked up with bassist Billy Cox and began jamming with a wide variety of musicians, including R&B drummer Buddy Miles. He had become self-conscious about his image as a showman and rocker and about the limitations of thrashing through the same repertoire night after night. Band Of Gypsys was Hendrix's attempt to redefine himself, and in a way heralded his return to the ethos of the blues and R&B, a return assisted by a powerhouse, groove-oriented rhythm section. Band Of Gypsys was certainly different from Hendrix's work with the Experience, but rivals it in terms of scope, vision and beauty.
1. Who Knows
2. Machine Gun
4. Power To Love
5. Message To Love
6. We Gotta Live Together$24.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Band Of GypsysThe Jimi Hendrix Experience disbanded after 3 albums, but Jimi quickly formed a new band with bassist Billy Cox and his drummer friend Buddy Miles; the Band of Gypsys. Musically the Band of Gypsys leaned more towards Jimi's funk/R&B roots than the psychedelic rock sound of the Experience.
The Band of Gypsys made their live debut at the Fillmore East on New Year's Eve, 1969, for a series of four shows spread over two nights. A compilation of these shows saw the light as the eponymous live album 'Band of Gypsys'. Containing definitive versions of Machine Gun and Who Knows!
Incl. 8-page full-colour booklet (12x 12)1. Who Knows
2. Machine Gun
4. Power To Love
5. Message To Love
6. We Gotta Live Together$44.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now
Experience Hendrix: The Best Of Jimi Hendrix (Awaiting Repress)Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix is a compilation album of Jimi Hendrix songs originally released on CD in 1997. This 2xLP collects 20 songs spanning his career from his first recordings with the Jimi Hendrix Experience in 1966 to his last with Billy Cox and Mitch Mitchell in 1970.
It is the first comprehensive collection of Hendrix's songs overseen by Experience Hendrix, a family company that took over management of his recording legacy in 1997. Fifteen songs with the Experience are included and five with Hendrix's later groups often referred to as Gypsy Suns and Rainbows and the Cry of Love touring band. No songs from the Band of Gypsys lineup with Buddy Miles are included.LP 1
1. Purple Haze
3. The Wind Cries Mary
4. Hey Joe
5. All Along the Watchtower
6. Stone Free
7. Crosstown Traffic
8. Manic Depression
9. Little Wing
10. If 6 Was 9
1. Foxey Lady
2. Bold as Love
3. Castles Made of Sand
4. Red House
5. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
7. Night Bird Flying
9. Dolly Dagger
10. Star Spangled Banner (Live at Woodstock)$24.99Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed AWAITING REPRESS Buy Now
West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology (Awaiting Repress)LPs Cut from the Original Masters at Sterling Sound by Iconic Engineer George Marino
58-Track Behemoth Includes 45 Previously Unreleased Hendrix Studio and Live Recordings
Hendrix's Journey Traced in Music: From Little-Known R&B Sideman to Rock Superstar
Ultimate Hendrix Set is the Jewel of Legacy's Catalog Restoration Project
The wave of newly re-mastered, all-analog Jimi Hendrix titles culminates in the long awaited release of West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology. This definitive career-spanning 8-LP Box Set tracks Hendrixs remarkable journey from R&B sideman to international guitar hero. The deluxe set is filled with previously unreleased Jimi Hendrix Experience recordings plus demos, alternate takes, and more. This newly assembled Jimi Hendrix anthology also includes a new Hendrix documentary DVD, directed by the Grammy award-winning Bob Smeaton (Beatles Anthology, Festival Express, and Beatles: The Studio Recordings). The LPs have been cut from the original masters at Sterling Sound in Manhattan by iconic engineer George Marino.
This long-awaited career-spanning box set tracks Hendrix's remarkable journey from little known R&B sideman to international stardom through an unprecedented assemblage of previously unavailable recordings. West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology is not a collection of existing Hendrix albums but instead 45 unreleased Hendrix live and studio recordings including demos and alternate versions of songs from Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love, and Electric Ladyland.
West Coast Seattle Boy includes Hendrixs never before heard version of Bob Dylans 'Tears Of Rage, solo acoustic recordings of Electric Ladyland favorites like Long Hot Summer Night and 1983 (A Merman I Shall Turn To Be) as well as never before heard live performances from Berkeley and the legendary Band Of Gypsys Fillmore East concert on New Year's Eve 1969 combined together with such new Hendrix songs as Hear My Freedom, Hound Dog Blues, Lonely Avenue and more.
A centerpiece achievement in Legacy Recordings' monumental Jimi Hendrix catalog project, West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology is the first Hendrix collection to bring fans access to a comprehensive treasure trove of fresh material -- including demos, alternate takes, live concert jewels and more -- from all phases of the artist's recording career (1964 -1970). It offers the most complete collection of Jimi's pre-Experience R&B performances (including his singles with the Isley Brothers, Little Richard, Don Covay, King Curtis and more) to ever be officially anthologized, while bringing together the most comprehensive and revelatory set of fully realized songs, never before heard live performances, alternate studio takes, acoustic and electric demos, and other rarities drawn from every chapter of Hendrix's remarkable life and career.
The newly curated and assembled West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology also includes Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child, a new 90-minute documentary directed by the multiple Grammy-award winning Bob Smeaton (Beatles Anthology, Festival Express, Beatles: The Studio Recordings, Band of Gypsys). An autobiographical journey told in the legendary musician's own words as read by Parliament-Funkadelic's Bootsy Collins, the film incorporates interviews with Hendrix, coupled with the artist's letters, writings and recordings to provide new insight into one of the most enduring icons of popular culture.
The documentary features some of Jimi's greatest performances as well as rare and never before seen footage and photos including--for the first time ever--examples from the Hendrix family archive of the late guitarists personal drawings, postcards home to his father, song drafts, sketches, and lyrics.
Who better to tell the incredible story of a man's life than the man himself? Jimi was amazing and only his music, with tones and textures that he conjured, can capture the colorful and expansive essence of his time here on earth. I am enthralled with this all-encompassing new anthology which not only illuminates his years on both sides of the Atlantic and beautifully reveals his versatility as a performer, from his R&B origins to his explosion on the pop culture scene, but highlights who he was for those who knew and loved him, says Janie Hendrix, President and CEO of Experience Hendrix and co-producer of West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology.
An essential and historic addition to the Jimi Hendrix catalog, West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology brings together, for the first time, many of Hendrix's earliest commercial recordings, providing a rare glimpse of the rising rock guitar hero through a series of stellar sideman performances on a set of highly collectible pre-Experience R&B singles.Included on the first 2LPs of West Coast Seattle Boy:
1. Isley Brothers - Testify (1964
2. Don Covay & the Goodtimers - Mercy, Mercy (1964 - #1 Cashbox R&B - #35 Billboard Hot 100)
3. Don Covay & the Goodtimers - Can't Stay Away (1964)
4. Rosa Lee Brooks - My Diary (1965 - written by Arthur Lee)
5. Rosa Lee Brooks - Utee (1965)
6. Little Richard - I Don't Know What You Got But It's Got Me (1965)
7. Little Richard - Dancing All Around The World (1965)
8. Frank Howard & The Commanders - I'm So Glad (1966 - written by Billy Cox)
9. Isley Brothers - Move Over And Let Me Dance (1965)
10. Isley Brothers - Have You Ever Been Disappointed (1965)
11. Ray Sharpe - Help Me (Get The Feeling) (Part I) (1966)
12. The Icemen - (My Girl) She's A Fox (1966)
13. Jimmy Norman - That Little Old Groovemaker (1966)
14. Billy Lamont - Sweet Thang (1968)
15. King Curtis - Instant Groove (1969)
The third and fourth LPs of West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology focus on 1967-68 and Hendrix's breakout sessions with the Jimi Hendrix Experience:
16. Fire (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
17. Are You Experienced (1967) - Previously Unreleased Recording
18. May This Be Love (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
19. Can You See Me (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
20. Love Or Confusion (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
21. Little One (1967) - Previously Unreleased Recording (featuring Dave Mason on sitar)
22. Mr. Bad Luck (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
23. Cat Talking To Me (1967) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
24. Castles Made Of Sand (1967) - Previously Unreleased Recording
25. Tears Of Rage (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
26. Hear My Train A Comin' (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
27. 1983 (A Merman I Shall Turn To Be) (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
28. Long Hot Summer Night (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
29. My Friend (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
30. Angel (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
31. Calling All The Devil's Children (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
32. New Rising Sun (1968) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
The fifth and sixth LPs of West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology revisit 1968-1969, both a peak and pivotal period for Hendrix in which the artist was exploring bold new directions on stage and in the studio:
33. Hear My Freedom (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
34. Room Full Of Mirrors (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording
35. Shame, Shame, Shame (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording
36. Messenger (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
37. Hound Dog Blues (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording
38. Untitled Basic Track (1968) - Previously Unreleased Recording
39. Star Spangled Banner (1969) - Previously Unreleased Original Mix
40. Purple Haze (1969) - Previously Unreleased Original Mix
41. Young/Hendrix (1969) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
42. Mastermind (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording
43. Message To Love (1969) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
44. Fire (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording
45. Foxey Lady (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording
Opening with Hendrix's incendiary New Year's Eve performance of Stone Free at New York's Fillmore East on December 31, 1969 and closing with a previously unheard recording from Hendrix alone in his Greenwich Village apartment in 1970, the seventh and eighth LPs of West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology provides a fascinating portrait of an artist at his fiery best, working on the future:
46. Stone Free (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording
47. Burning Desire (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording
48. Lonely Avenue (1969) - Previously Unreleased Recording
49. Everlasting First (1970) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording (featuring Arthur Lee)
50. Freedom (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording
51. Peter Gunn/Catastrophe (1970) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
52. In From The Storm (1970) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
53. All God's Children (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording
54. Red House (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording
55. Play That Riff [Thank You] (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording
56. Bolero (1970) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
57. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) - Previously Unreleased Alternate Recording
58. Suddenly November Morning (1970) - Previously Unreleased Recording$99.99Vinyl LP - Limited Edition 8 LP Box Set Sealed AWAITING REPRESS Buy Now
Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show - 12/31/1969As the '60s came to a close, Jimi Hendrix pushed the boundaries of funk, rock and R&B with a brand new group, Band of Gypsys. Together with bassist Billy Cox and drummer Buddy Miles, Hendrix unveiled stunning, newly written material across four shows at the legendary Fillmore East in New York City. Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show 12/31/69 marks the first time Band of Gypsys' first show has ever been released in its entirety, newly mixed by Eddie Kramer from the original 1 eight-track masters and released on 2xLP 180 gram vinyl.LP 1
1. Power of Soul
2. Lover Man
3. Hear My Train a Comin'
6. Machine Gun
2. Ezy Ryder
3. Bleeding Heart
4. Earth Blues
5. Burning Desire$34.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
South Saturn DeltaLegacy's incredible Jimi Hendrix catalog restoration campaign continues with another gem packed full of rarities and treasures! A stunning and insightful collection of 15 essential recordings, South Saturn Delta offers a unique insight into the creative process that Hendrix undertook while crafting many of his most beloved recordings. This compilation assembles 14 previously unavailable recordings from throughout Hendrix's career, including both incarnations of The Experience, Woodstock's Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, and the Band Of Gypsys.
Features early renditions and alternate takes of the classics Little Wing,Gap, All Along The Watchtower, plus previously unheard recordings such as South Saturn Delta, as well as live cuts from the Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes concerts. A must for any Hendrix enthusiast, and a great reference point for those enamored with otherworldly guitar playing.1. Look Over Yonder
2. Little Wing (Angel)
3. Here He Comes (Lover Man)
4. South Saturn Delta
5. Power Of Soul
6. Message To The Universe (Message To Love)
7. Tax Free
8. All Along The Watchtower
9. The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice
11. Sweet Angel (Angel)
12. Bleeding Heart (Peoples, Peoples, Peoples)
13. Pali Gap
14. Drifter's Escape
15. Midnight Lightning$24.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
South Saturn DeltaA stunning collection of 15 recordings, 'South Saturn Delta' offers a unique insight into the creative process that Jimi Hendrix undertook while crafting many of his most beloved recordings.
This compilation assembles recordings from throughout Jimi Hendrix's career including both incarnations of The Experience, Woodstock's Gypsy Sun And Rainbows and the Band Of Gypsy's.
The album features early renditions and alternate takes of the classics 'Little Wing', 'Pali Gap', 'All Along The Watchtower' plus previously unheard recordings such as 'South Saturn Delta' and 'Message To The Universe'.
This album hasn't been available on vinyl for a long time but once again Music On Vinyl comes to the rescue!
The double album features an 8 page booklet and comes in a beautiful gatefold sleeve.LP 1
1. Look Over Yonder
2. Little Wing (Angel)
3. Here He Comes (Lover Man)
4. South Saturn Delta
5. Power Of Soul
6. Message To The Universe (Message To Love)
7. Tax Free
1. All Along The Watchtower
2. The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice
4. Sweet Angel (Angel)
5. Bleeding Heart (Peoples, Peoples, Peoples)
6. Pali Gap
7. Drifter's Escape
8. Midnight Lightning$44.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - 2 LPs Sealed Buy Now
Live At Woodstock (Awaiting Repress)Experience Hendrix LLC & Legacy Recordings Continue the Monumental 2010 Jimi Hendrix Catalog Project with a Second Wave of Audiophile Vinyl Reissues
Lacquers Cut from the Original Tapes at Sterling Sound by Iconic Engineer George Marino Under the Supervision of Eddie Kramer
Pressed and Plated at RTI: Amazing Analog Sound Betters All Prior Vinyl and Digital Editions
As the headliner of the 1969 Woodstock Festival, Jimi Hendrix was the last act and he didn't hit the stage until dawn on Monday morning. The recording finds Hendrix in a period of transition between the psychedelic blues of the Experience and the soulful, rhythmically driven Band of Gypsys. Throughout the electrifying set, Hendrix manages to touch on every musical style from jazz to blues to funk and soul and it stands as arguably the most famous and affirming live performance in the history of music.
Legacy Recordings is now reissuing Hendrix's watershed Live At Woodstock on an audiophile, three-disc 12 vinyl LP set that blows away all prior editions. Cut from the original tapes at Sterling Sound by iconic engineer George Marino under the supervision of Eddie Kramer, and pressed and plated at RTI, this 3LP version will forever stand as the definitive-sounding, high-performance edition of this historic document. You know the concert's legacy. Now experience it like never before.
Jimi's music is as alive today as it was 40 years ago, and the success of our most recent releases with Sony Legacy provides thrilling confirmation. We have long maintained that the power of Jimi's music and the power of his message would stand the test of time and provide its own bridge to the future, said Janie Hendrix, CEO of Experience Hendrix LLC.
Being partnered with Legacy enables us to reach a more global audience with that message. And the best is yet to come. What we have in store will propel Jimi into a new decade, with unseen footage and unheard versions of his songs that will absolutely amaze today's music lovers. And we're confident that the distribution is in good hands, opening the door to new and fresh markets. The focus of our endeavors is, and always will be, all about Jimi's music.1. Introduction
2. Message to Love
3. Hear My Train a Comin'
4. Spanish Castle Magic
5. Red House
6. Lover Man
7. Foxey Lady
8. Jam Back at the House
11. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
12. Star Spangled Banner
13. Purple Haze
14. Woodstock Improvisation
15. Villanova Junction
16. Hey Joe$39.99180 Gram Audiophile Virgin Vinyl LP - 3 LPs Sealed AWAITING REPRESS Buy Now
The Columbia Years 1968-1969All Tracks Previously Unreleased (Except Track B5/8)
Production By Miles Davis & Teo Macero
Featuring Performances From Hugh Masekela, Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience), John Mclaughlin, Herbie Hancock, Harvey Brooks, Wayne Shorter, Billy Cox (Band Of Gypsys), Larry Young, And Members Of The Jazz Crusaders
Remastered From The Original Analog Master Tapes
New Interviews, Rare Photos, And Unseen Historical Documents From The Teo Macero Archive
One can hardly imagine Prince, Erykah Badu, or Outkast without the influence of Betty Davis. Her style of raw and revelatory punk-funk defies any notions that women can't be visionaries in the worlds of rock and pop. In recent years, rappers from Ice Cube to Talib Kweli have rhymed over her intensely strong but sensual music. Betty penned the song ''Uptown'' for The Chambers Brothers and wrote the tunes that got The Commodores signed to Motown. The Detroit label soon came calling, pitching a Motown songwriting deal, which Betty turned down. Motown wanted to own everything. Heading to the UK, Marc Bolan of T. Rex urged the creative dynamo to start writing for herself. A common thread throughout Betty's career would be her unbending DIY ethic, which made her quickly turn down anyone who didn't fit with the vision. She would eventually say no to Eric Clapton as her album producer, seeing him as too banal. In 1968, she married Miles Davis and quickly influenced him on the magic of psychedelic rock along with introducing him to Jimi Hendrix-personally inspiring the classic album, Bitches Brew.
Miles and Betty fans have long debated the truth of a near mythological session recorded in Studios B and E at Columbia's 52nd Street Studios on May 14th and 20th, 1969. The landmark session was produced by Miles and Teo Macero and featured Betty on vocals, accompanied by Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell, guitarist John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock on keys, and Dylan/Miles session bassist Harvey Brooks. Other players included bassist Billy Cox (Band of Gypsys), saxophonist Wayne Shorter, and organist Larry Young. Now, Light In The Attic, with full support from Betty herself, presents these recordings to the public for the very first time. These historic sessions-never heard, never bootlegged-predate Miles' revolutionary album, Bitches Brew, and are the true birth of Miles' jazz-rock explorations, along with the roots for Betty's groundbreaking funk that came years later, starting with her self-titled debut in 1973. While, ultimately, these recordings would go unreleased for nearly half a century, they would greatly shape each of their careers.
The vibe is intrinsically unique, fresh, and futuristic-jazz heavyweights playing psychedelia, rock, and jazz-fusion long before the term became commonplace. The songs include Betty originals and covers of classics by Creedence and Cream. The concepts explored on these previously unheard sessions fueled concepts that wouldn't be fully realized until years later with Miles' seminal On The Corner.
Additionally, included here is the first time rerelease of a 1968 Columbia single, recorded in October 1968 at Columbia Studios in Los Angeles. The session was produced by Jerry Fuller and featured South African maverick Hugh Masekela on trumpet and arrangements, plus members of jazz-funk pioneers The Crusaders-including trombonist Wayne Henderson and pianist Joe Sample. Two of the three tracks included here from this session are previously unreleased.
This deluxe package is a treasure trove for both Betty and Miles fans, including rare documents from the pen of co-producer Teo Macero, rarely seen photos from legendary photographer Baron Wolman, and new interviews with Mrs. Davis herself, Harvey Brooks, and Hugh Masekela-the entire project overseen with Betty's full blessing.1. Hangin' Out
2. Politician Man
3. Down Home Girl
4. Born On The Bayou
5. I'm Ready, Willing & Able (Take 1)
6. I'm Ready, Willing & Able (Take 9)
7. It's My Life (Alternate Take)
8. Live, Love, Learn
9. My Soul Is Tired$25.99Vinyl LP - Sealed Buy Now